Basic Tomato Sauce
Published 2022-03-29 on Yaroslav's recipe book
This text is also available in other languages: Русский Español
A good tomato sauce serves as the basis for many a delicious recipe. From pasta, to pizza and lasagna, as well as just as the base for other sauces. This is a quick and dirty recipe for a basic tomato sauce.
When I said basic, I wasn't joking; these are the only required ingredients:
- A can of peeled or crushed tomatoes in tomato juice.
- Garlic; about 3 cloves for every 400g of canned tomatoes.
Yes, that's really it. Of course, you can some herbs and spices like oregano and basil, but I would suggest adding them at the end after the sauce is already cooked.
- Open the can and pour all the tomatoes and the juice to a saucepan or pot.
- Crush the tomatoes with a potato masher until they blend in with the sauce. Here how much to mash them will depend on how homogeneous or chunky you like the sauce.
- Add salt and pepper to taste.
- Grate the garlic and add it to the sauce.
- Cook for about 20 minutes at medium heat, stirring from time to time, or until the sauce is the right consistency for you.
- Add any herbs and spices to your liking.
© 2018—2023 Yaroslav de la Peña Smirnov.