Published 2022-01-01 22:24 UTC on Yaroslav's recipe book
Fast and easy recipe for a very delicious and somewhat nutritious breakfast or lunch. This recipe is so simple that I was doubting whether it was worth it writing about it. But since most people outside of Mexico don't know about it, here it is!
I really like making these when I'm feeling very lazy and also when I don't have many ingredients at hand.
The only required ingredients are these:
- Tortillas; either corn or flour tortillas, I usually make them with flour tortillas
- Cheese1; usually oaxaca cheese, but I also use cheddar, gouda, mozzarella among others
For each quesadilla you need one tortilla and about 50–75g of cheese. Two or three quesadillas should be enough for breakfast.
However, you can add just about any ingredient as filling, depending on how much you want to eat and what your preferences are. Some examples:
- Pulled chicken
- Some sauce (e.g. salsa roja)
- Take a tortilla and put on one half of it the ingredients that you decided to use.
- Close the tortilla by folding the tortilla in half, so that you end up with a semicircle that contains all the ingredients inside
- Repeat the steps above for each quesadilla
- Heat up a pan. Optionally you can add some oil or fat, for example, I sometimes like to fry some bacon for use in the quesadillas and use its fat to fry the quesadillas.
- Cook the quesadillas at medium heat for about 3 minutes on each side, or until each side is slightly brown.
- Serve hot, enjoy while the cheese is still melted!
Some people in Mexico City say that a quesadilla can be made without cheese. I think so much smog has caused some brain damage in those people.