Published 2022-06-30 on Yaroslav's recipe book
A classic recipe in eastern Slavic countries, typically eaten for breakfast, as a side dish or a for a light lunch. Similar to American hash browns or other potato pancake recipes. Potatoes are truly the most versatile vegetable there is; better than potatoes only meat.
The following ingredients are for about four draniki, enough for a one person breakfast or two side dish portions:
- 2 medium sized potatoes
- 1/4 onion
- Vegetable oil
- Butter (optional)
I would also recommend some sour cream to go with them as sauce, and some freshly chopped dill to top.
- Peel the potatoes.
- Grate the onion and then the potatoes into a bowl.
- Add salt, pepper to taste and mix.
- Using a colander squeeze excess liquid from the mix.
- Form some relatively thin (about < 1cm thick) patties with the mix.
- Heat up a pan with some oil, the oil should be enough to cover at least half the height of the draniki. Optionally add some butter for more taste.
- Let the draniki fry at medium-low to low heat with the lid closed for about 10 minutes each side.
- Put the draniki on a plate with a paper towel, let them sit for about a minute to drain the excess oil, and enjoy!
© 2018—2023 Yaroslav de la Peña Smirnov.